Green roofs permit the transformation of most flat or sloped roofs into a landscaped environment.
Green roofs provide building owners and tenants with many ecological, technical and economic benefits:
- Adds a green space for tenant use and recreation
- Reduces the “Urban Heat Island” effect
- Manages storm water run off – green roofs retain 50% – 90% of a typical rainfall on the roof
- Processes airborne toxins and re-oxygenates the air
- Improves a building’s energy efficiency
- Extends roof membrane life
- Creates therapeutic and peaceful environments
- Can be single source warranted from the deck up
Many choices of green roofs are available including lightweight Extensive Systems, medium weight Shallow-Intensive (Lawn Type) Systems, heavier Intensive Systems and Sloped Systems.The systems differ mainly in the soil depth and type of vegetation.
Waterproofing membranes include hot applied rubberized asphalt membranes, modified bituminous sheet membranes, various single ply sheet membranes and cold applied liquid membranes.
Many major North American corporations are now installing green roof systems on their facilities as a demonstration of their commitment to environmental stewardship.